Forside %gt; EU-opholdsdokumenter %gt; EU residence %gt; Recognition of foreign certificates

Recognition of foreign certificates

If you are applying for family reunification, you must be able to document that you are a family member of the main person. The main person is the person you are applying for family reunification with. This person must have an independent basis for residence in Denmark pursuant to EU rules. This documentation may be proof that you are married, that you are a child of the main person etc. You must therefore submit e.g. a marriage certificate or a birth certificate (find out more about children entering Denmark with only one parent at the bottom of this page).

If the certificates were issued abroad, the State Administration will need to assess whether they are genuine and can be recognised in Denmark. Documents from certain countries require that the documents are legalised or have apostille authentication.

Please note that this must have been completed before the application is submitted to the State Administration.

Documents that do not require further action

If the document is from the United States, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and Turkey, it will not usually need to be legalised or have apostille authentication to be recognised in Denmark.

The same applies to documents from all European countries with the exception of the countries listed below: Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Kosovo, Russia, Tajikistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan.

Documents which require apostille authentication:

If the document is from a country other than those listed above or if the document originates from one of the exempted European countries and if the country has adopted the Apostille Convention (Hague Convention of 5 October 1961), the document must have apostille authentication from the country of issue.

A list of countries that have adopted the Apostille Convention can be found here.

The original of the document with the apostille authentication must be submitted to the State Administration.

Documents that require legalisation:

If the document is from a country that is not included in the categories above, it will usually have to be legalised in order to be recognised as genuine in Denmark.

The legalisation process should be completed in the country in which the document was issued. Legalisation processes may differ from country to country, but in most cases the process will be as follows:

  1. The ministry concerned must legalise the person who has issued the document.
  2. The ministry of foreign affairs must legalise the person concerned at the ministry (see point 1).
  3. The local Danish embassy must legalise the person concerned in the ministry of foreign affairs (see point 2).

The original of the legalised document must be submitted to the State Administration.

Please note that producing a registration certificate from another EU country is not sufficient. The original certificate issued by the country in which the event took place must be submitted to the State Administration. 

Documents from Pakistan:

Documents from Pakistan must be both legalised and certified. At the certification assessment you get documentation for the information in the document.

The certified and legalised document must be presented in original for the State Administration.

See the manual on certification and legalisation of Pakistani documents for use in applying for EU-redience documents here.


Please note that foreign documents must be translated into Danish, English or German by a certified translator. Any apostille authentication must be translated. If the document has been legalised, all stamps etc. must also be translated.

Useful links:

Til toppen af siden
Senest opdateret 27. nov 2017
Kontakt os
Nyheder |Om Statsforvaltningen |Job
Publikationer |FAQ |Presse |English